Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Super Easy Scarf

So, this past weekend I decided to pop into Michael’s to browse for Halloween stuff. Somehow I ended up in the Yarn aisle. Have you been recently?!! WOWZERS!! There are soooooo many new ones to choose from! I was instantly drawn to this yarn, so I HAD to buy it.
(Of course, I didn’t buy any Halloween décor. I couldn’t wait to start a new project with what I found!!)
Anyway, after 4 hours total (2 hours here and 2 hours there), this is what I ended up with:

It’s Super Easy!! The yarn even comes with instructions. Up close it looks like this:

If you spread it open, it looks like this:

So, here are the instructions that come with it:
Knitting Needles 5.5 mm/Gauge is not important.
For a longer scarf cast on 6 stitches. For a shorter, wider scarf cast on 10 stitches. (parenthesis show the wider/shorter size). Stretch one end of the Sashay open for several inches and lay it flat, placing the edge with the metallic thread along the bottom. Notice that the Sashay yarn is a mesh of holes. You will be working with the top of the mesh and leaving the metallic edge loose to form a ruffle.
Beginning at the top right edge, insert tip of a knitting needle from back to front starting 4” from end. Continue inserting needle 5 (9) more times. You know have 6 (10) cast on stitches.
Pick up the needle with the 6 (10) stitches and knit using the top 2 threads of the mesh rather than the entire strand. Continue knitting in stockinette stitch these 6 (10) stitches on each row, always turning your work in the same direction at the end of rows. Put your work down and open up the mesh as you go. Stop knitting when you have 1 yard left for binding off.
FINISHING:  Bind off loosely, drawing the end of the Sashay through the last bound stitch. Trim leaving 4” end. To finish ends, fold under the corn and task to inside with sewing needle and thread.  ( I didn’t do this-I just trimmed it and it looks fine to me.)
Click here for a video.
Here’s what the actual KNIT part looks like in the back:

Here’s the front:

I decided to go with Casting on 6 because I wanted my scarf to be skinnier and longer. I was overall happy with the result, but I think for my next one, I will go even skinnier by casting on 4 instead.
But what a great addition to my Fall and Winter wardrobe. Because of its length, you can wear in so many ways. Like this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

How fun for one ball of yarn and a few hours!! Now if only San Diego would realize that it's Fall so I can wear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment