Friday, October 14, 2011

Pumpkin Pound Cake-Breakfast or Dessert?


 Well, Happy Fall Y'all!! I'd like to introduce to you my friend Pumpkin Pound Cake with Cinnamon Glaze!

Last week, my husband told me that he was having a Bake Sale at work.(They have these once a month to raise funds for employee events.) I try to make something for him every time.  Now that Fall is here, I decided to make something to match the season. That and I was dying to find an excuse to make these!!

First, let me tell you. When I found this recipe, it was listed as a dessert? And the recipe calls for a regular sized bundt cake pan. I used my minis. One: because they are so cute and two: it made more sense for the Bake Sale to have them individually packaged? But after sampling one (or two-it was research), I'm thinking it also makes a delicious breakfast treat. Warm it up in the morning for 20 seconds in the microwave and have with your favorite cup of coffee...pure deliciousness. Now, I wouldn't recommend this as a daily breakfast item, but for a nice little treat now and then? If you can buy that cinnamon roll or muffin at Starbucks to accompany your beverage, why not, once in awhile enjoy this "dessert" for breakfast.

Here's the recipe: 

Pumpkin Pound Cake With Cinnamon Glaze

Ingredients

    Cake

    • 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
    • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
    • 2 cups sugar
    • 6 eggs
    • 1 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

    Glaze

    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    • 1 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
    • 2 -3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
    • 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Directions

  1. For Cake: Heat oven to 325 degrees farenheit. Grease 12-cup Bundt pan with shortening. Sprinkle with flour; tap pan to remove excess flour.
  2. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
  3. In large bowl, beat 1 1/2 c butter and sugar at medium speed 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs two at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, beat in pumpkin and 1 tsp vanilla until well-blended. Slowly add flour mixture, beating just until incorporated. Spoon batter into pan.
  4. Bake 1 hr and 20 minutes to 1 hr and 30 mminutes or until deep golden brown and wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack; cool completely.
  5. For glaze: In large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and cinnamon at low speed for 1 minute. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in cream until mixture reaches desired consistency. Pour glaze over cake; arrange nuts in a ring around the top rim of the cake. Let stand until glaze is set.
I got the recipe from here. The only thing I changed is the glaze.  After making the glaze, I put it in a microwavable POURABLE container like this. I microwaved it for 30 seconds, stirred it up a little and then poured it over the mini bundt cakes. It was so much easier than trying to drizzle it with a spoon. And I prefer the glaze to be a little thin. Plus, I didn't use nuts. Not because I don't like them, but because I didn't have any on hand. :(

I used these for the pans but I saw these at Michael's the other day. I'm thinking I might have to grab one!  They seem so much easier than trying to place and remove 8 individual pans in the oven?


There it is...I can't wait for you to try. I'm curious. Do you think that they a dessert or breakfast treat?  Hmmm...

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! I'm inspired!! I love the taste of pumpkin this time of year. Going to try this sometime. Thanks Marci!!

    ReplyDelete